Search Results

Search results 1-20 of 154.

Clear source file history

jgibbs - - Palo for Excel

Hi All, Bit of a picky question. I've been using the data import wizard for a while and when selecting the source file I can click the drop down box for a list of recent source files. Is there a way to clear the list? I just want to see my last source file used. Thanks, Jason

I've had this problem for a while (still using v2.5). I don't know of a solution other than restarting Excel. Thankfully it's infrequent but I find it mostly happens after loading a flat file into the cube and then trying to splash a value on a different spreadsheet.

I have the same issue but it's hard to replicate. I usually just close Excel, re-open and the formula behave as expected.

Time dimension modelling

What's wrong with 3 dimensions: Year, Month, Date? By Date, I mean # not Monday, Tuesday, etc. If you're really hung up on the Day, let Excel figure it out by putting together the date (14.07.2010) and calculating the day. If you don't have data for February 30th, then your datapoint will be zero.

It may take me a while to figure this out. I don't know how the formula works. I'll try to get to it next week as I'm really curious to see the effect.

Right on both counts. For the test I replaced palo.datac with palo.datav (using search and replace). I didn't realize it was an array function. Whoops!

I have a report that tracks about 100 sales reps and their performance selling 7 categories on a weekly, cycle and annual basis. There's about 21,000 palo links on my data tab which then feeds individual tabs for each rep. I have a macro that emails each individual tab. Each week I change a couple parameters and use f9 to update all the data and tabs. Anyway, I always use data.c without any problem but decided to experiment with the other types. Here's what I found for performance (hitting f9 to…

If each of the sites share the same chart of accounts, I'd definitely lean towards having one cube. As Realquo stated, it's much easier to manage the db since any changes (new accounts, new consolidations, new sites!) only have to be set up one time. I load monthly data in just like you do. Just set up a consolidated element for each month. IE. YTDP2 --Period 01 --Period 02 YTDP3 --Period 01 --Period 02 --Period 03 etc. OR YTDP2 --Period 01 --Period 02 YTDP3 --YTDP2 --Period 03 I prefer the firs…

I'm not familiar with "insert function" maybe that's on the newer version (I'm using 2.5 still) I think you've got your method worked out but here's what I would have done. You probably already understand all this but just in case: 1) Create flat excel file with all your transactions/data 2) Save as CSV file 3) Create a "template" file using the steps in the manual (Start import wizard, Flat textfile, next, etc) and import first line of csv file 4) Write a transformation formula in the "template…

Regarding question 2, just add a formula to your import template that transforms the cell on the fly. Then, have the setdata function point to the "parsed" date instead of the line being imported.

RE: Planning via Excel

You can't set up elements in a spreadsheet. The can only be added via modeller or by import (using the palo.eadd function)

Accounts Consolidation

Consolidation is natural to Palo. I would definitely do it (I already do - as an accountant).

Shut down batch file

jgibbs - - Palo OLAP Server

I saved the bat files in a backup folder. Then I added a new job to windows task scheduler. (Start -> Accessories -> System Tools) In Server2008 Triggers tab Set up the task to run daily, every day and check off "enabled" Actions tab Choose "start a program" Browse to the short batch file (the one with the backup command) Hope that helps.

I have two files that setdata into the cube. On the first one, it works perfectly and has three setdata functions. I hit finish and it cycles through approx 40,000 lines of data. Sometimes it pauses but it doesn't "go too fast" for the cube to update. On my second file, I can't hit finish. I don't really understand why. It works with a different cube and has only two setdata functions. If I hold the "enter" key down (meaning "next" on the import dialogue) it will go through the whole file withou…

no data foud when exporting

jgibbs - - Palo OLAP Server

I have this problem when I'm trying to export a detailed slice of the cube. (IE defining particular elements in multiple dimensions) If I change some of the dimensions to "All" then I can get my data. It just means having to do some work in Excel when it's finished to remove the lines I didn't want.

Importing data form Excel 2007

You shouldn't need to redefine them. The element type is defined by the dimension. If your dimension type is string, the elements are strings...

Quote: “Originally posted by knychw Thanks for your insight jgibbs. Would you tell why Count does not seem like a valid dimension? ” Because count is a result. When you define your dimensions in a view the intersection is where you would find count. Maybe it works for you, I just can't see it. Quote: “ does this work if you just have an empty dimension in the first place? ” It should. As long as you have the dimensions created and on the spreadsheet. Palo looks for the dimensions and guesses the…

I'm confused by the dimensions in your "Postal_n_Count" cube. Count does not seem like a valid dimension. Anyway, if you're trying to lay out your dimensions on a spreadsheet and then trying to get Palo to read in the data sequentially using import wizard, it won't work. However, you could just use the setdata function. In the attached file I've defined the layout and in column D inserted the setdata function. You might want to let Palo guess it for you. I'm assuming that Post Code is a dimensio…

Hi Kenny, The import is working as designed. Your next step is to create a "Setdata" function somewhere on the spreadsheet so that it reads the data from line 1 and stores it in Palo. Try the examples in the manual and you'll see what I mean.

On a blank workbook 1. Start "import Wizard" 2. Select "cube", then "next" 3. Select your source server/database and cube 4. Select any filters you need and click "Next" 5. Select "Next" (I never change anything on this screen" 6. Click "Next" one time. 7. You should see a row of data at the top of your screen. Click "Close" Now build a setdata formula as described in the manual for a flat file import. Repeat steps 1 - 6. Make sure you're not getting an error message from your setdata function. …