compiling libpalo_ng on debian 64bit

compiling libpalo_ng on debian 64bit

Hi there,

I'm currently trying to compile libpalo_ng on a debian 64bit install and got kind of stuck.
    It seems I get till the final step of the compile process but it always fails because of some weird problem with libboost_regex-mt.a

Source Code

1. /bin/sh ./libtool --tag=CXX --mode=link g++ -g -O2 -lssl -L/usr/lib -R/usr/lib -L/usr/lib -R/usr/lib -L/usr/lib -R/usr/lib /usr/lib/libboost_regex-mt.a /usr/lib/libboost_serialization-mt.a /usr/lib/libboost_thread-mt.a -pthread -o libpalo_ng.la -rpath /usr/lib libpalo_ng_version.lo Thread/Sync/ReadWriteLock.lo Network/TcpDevice/TcpDevice.lo Network/HttpClient/Url.lo Network/HttpClient/HttpExceptionFactory.lo Network/HttpClient/HttpClientConnection.lo Network/HttpClient/HttpsClientConnection.lo Network/HttpClient/HttpClient.lo Network/HttpClient/BasicAuthentication.lo Network/HttpClient/HttpClientConnectionPoolTmpl.lo Network/HttpClient/HttpClientRequest.lo Network/HttpClient/HttpClientConnectionPool.lo Network/HttpClient/HttpsClientConnectionPool.lo Network/HttpClient/HttpClientResponse.lo Network/NetInitialisation.lo Network/SocketAddress.lo Network/SocketException.lo Network/ClientSocket.lo Network/Socket.lo Palo/Logging/Logging.lo Palo/Config/Config.lo Palo/Network/CubeToken.lo Palo/Network/ServerToken.lo Palo/Network/Token.lo Palo/Network/DatabaseToken.lo Palo/Network/DimensionToken.lo Palo/Network/PaloClient.lo Palo/Cache/DimensionCache.lo Palo/Cache/CubeCache.lo Palo/Cache/DatabaseCache.lo Palo/Cache/ElementCache.lo Palo/Cache/CubesCache.lo Palo/Cache/ServerCache.lo Palo/Cache/DimensionsCache.lo Palo/Cache/OnlineCubeCache.lo Palo/Lists/Filter.lo Palo/Lists/TextFilter.lo Palo/Lists/SortingFilter.lo Palo/Lists/StructuralFilter.lo Palo/Lists/DataFilter.lo Palo/Lists/AliasFilter.lo Palo/Lists/SubSet.lo Palo/Lists/TreeBuilder.lo Palo/Lists/TreeFullSortingFilter.lo Palo/Lists/TreeHierarchyFilter.lo Palo/Lists/TreePartialSortingFilter.lo Palo/Lists/PickList.lo Palo/Dimensions.lo Palo/Exception/PaloExceptionFactory.lo Palo/Exception/LibPaloNGExceptionFactory.lo Palo/Element.lo Palo/Cube.lo Palo/Exception/MaximumServerRetrysReachedException.lo Palo/Dimension.lo Palo/ServerPool.lo Palo/Cubes.lo Palo/types.lo Palo/Database.lo Palo/Server.lo Util/StringUtils.lo Util/Base64.lo Util/CsvTokenFromStream.lo Util/CaseInsensitiv.lo Util/CsvLineDecoder.lo Util/md5class.lo Util/md5.lo
    2. *** Warning: Linking the shared library libpalo_ng.la against the
    3. *** static library /usr/lib/libboost_regex-mt.a is not portable!
    4. *** Warning: Linking the shared library libpalo_ng.la against the
    5. *** static library /usr/lib/libboost_serialization-mt.a is not portable!
    6. *** Warning: Linking the shared library libpalo_ng.la against the
    7. *** static library /usr/lib/libboost_thread-mt.a is not portable!
    8. libtool: link: g++ -shared -nostdlib /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.3.2/../../../../lib/crti.o /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.3.2/crtbeginS.o .libs/libpalo_ng_version.o Thread/Sync/.libs/ReadWriteLock.o Network/TcpDevice/.libs/TcpDevice.o Network/HttpClient/.libs/Url.o Network/HttpClient/.libs/HttpExceptionFactory.o Network/HttpClient/.libs/HttpClientConnection.o Network/HttpClient/.libs/HttpsClientConnection.o Network/HttpClient/.libs/HttpClient.o Network/HttpClient/.libs/BasicAuthentication.o Network/HttpClient/.libs/HttpClientConnectionPoolTmpl.o Network/HttpClient/.libs/HttpClientRequest.o Network/HttpClient/.libs/HttpClientConnectionPool.o Network/HttpClient/.libs/HttpsClientConnectionPool.o Network/HttpClient/.libs/HttpClientResponse.o Network/.libs/NetInitialisation.o Network/.libs/SocketAddress.o Network/.libs/SocketException.o Network/.libs/ClientSocket.o Network/.libs/Socket.o Palo/Logging/.libs/Logging.o Palo/Config/.libs/Config.o Palo/Network/.libs/CubeToken.o Palo/Network/.libs/ServerToken.o Palo/Network/.libs/Token.o Palo/Network/.libs/DatabaseToken.o Palo/Network/.libs/DimensionToken.o Palo/Network/.libs/PaloClient.o Palo/Cache/.libs/DimensionCache.o Palo/Cache/.libs/CubeCache.o Palo/Cache/.libs/DatabaseCache.o Palo/Cache/.libs/ElementCache.o Palo/Cache/.libs/CubesCache.o Palo/Cache/.libs/ServerCache.o Palo/Cache/.libs/DimensionsCache.o Palo/Cache/.libs/OnlineCubeCache.o Palo/Lists/.libs/Filter.o Palo/Lists/.libs/TextFilter.o Palo/Lists/.libs/SortingFilter.o Palo/Lists/.libs/StructuralFilter.o Palo/Lists/.libs/DataFilter.o Palo/Lists/.libs/AliasFilter.o Palo/Lists/.libs/SubSet.o Palo/Lists/.libs/TreeBuilder.o Palo/Lists/.libs/TreeFullSortingFilter.o Palo/Lists/.libs/TreeHierarchyFilter.o Palo/Lists/.libs/TreePartialSortingFilter.o Palo/Lists/.libs/PickList.o Palo/.libs/Dimensions.o Palo/Exception/.libs/PaloExceptionFactory.o Palo/Exception/.libs/LibPaloNGExceptionFactory.o Palo/.libs/Element.o Palo/.libs/Cube.o Palo/Exception/.libs/MaximumServerRetrysReachedException.o Palo/.libs/Dimension.o Palo/.libs/ServerPool.o Palo/.libs/Cubes.o Palo/.libs/types.o Palo/.libs/Database.o Palo/.libs/Server.o Util/.libs/StringUtils.o Util/.libs/Base64.o Util/.libs/CsvTokenFromStream.o Util/.libs/CaseInsensitiv.o Util/.libs/CsvLineDecoder.o Util/.libs/md5class.o Util/.libs/md5.o -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/usr/lib -lssl -L/usr/lib /usr/lib/libboost_regex-mt.a /usr/lib/libboost_serialization-mt.a /usr/lib/libboost_thread-mt.a -L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.3.2 -L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.3.2/../../../../lib -L/lib/../lib -L/usr/lib/../lib -L/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.3.2/../../.. -lstdc++ -lm -lc -lgcc_s /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.3.2/crtendS.o /usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-linux-gnu/4.3.2/../../../../lib/crtn.o -pthread -pthread -Wl,-soname -Wl,libpalo_ng.so.0 -o .libs/libpalo_ng.so.0.0.0
    9. /usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/libboost_regex-mt.a(instances.o): relocation R_X86_64_32 against `boost::object_cache<boost::re_detail::cpp_regex_traits_base<char>, boost::re_detail::cpp_regex_traits_implementation<char> >::do_get(boost::re_detail::cpp_regex_traits_base<char> const&, unsigned long)::s_data' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
    10. /usr/lib/libboost_regex-mt.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
    11. collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I'm currently using libboost-dev 1.42, I also tried with 1.34 with the same results.
    Any ideas?
    So time was a little rare the last weeks but now I am back at the problem.

libboost-dev is already compiled as a dynamic library (boost is intended as a portable/dynamic library), but I tried to force compile it as such and it didn't change a thing.

I previously compiled the system using gcc 4.3.2 and I found somewhere that this version has a bug with dynamic libraries. Unfortunately version 4.3.5 which is supposed to have this problem fixed doesn't work either. I updated gcc to 4.3.5, cleaned the previous compile process and started building from the beginning but it wasn't working.

Maybe I am missing some important step in preparation of the compile process but I didn't find any hints in the readme files. Could anyone try a compile on their linux system (preferably a debian 64 bit, but any other 64bit distro will do for the beginning) and post here if it worked for them? That would be great :)

PS: just to be clear, the _compile_ process finishes without problems, the _linking_ process is the one busting the operation.

Post was edited 1 time, last by “gsnerf” ().