Palo OpenOffice Calc Plugin 5.0 is out

Palo OpenOffice Calc Plugin 5.0 is out

A new release of the Palo OpenOffice Calc Plugin has been published this week on Sourceforge.

Being dormant for quite a while the need for a Open Source Palo client inspired developers to:
      • Supporting new Palo 5.0 server while beeing backwards compatible to Palo 3.2 CE (using new connector libraries provided by Jedox).
      • Drastically increasing performance allowing the smooth browsing of many thousand spreadsheet cells.
      • Fixing many bugs and increasing usability.
      In contrast to the Excel plugin, the Palo OpenOffice Calc Plugin runs on any platform having available current OpenOffice or LibreOffice builds - including Linux, Mac OSX and Windows.

Beside efficient spreadsheet browsing it offers a modeller including palo rule support and the possibility to connect to a range of XMLA-capable OLAP servers.

Of course it does still lack some of the fancy advanded features of the premium Excel Client, but provided the ongoing support of developers and companies (offering contributions and donations) I'm positive that this project can be exemplary for the diversification of the eco system around the technology from Jedox as intended by Jedox.

Technically the plugin is based on version 2.0.3 provided by Tensegrity (last open source version), but developement is centered again around the group of original developers of TU Chemnitz on Sourceforge supported by new developers.

Thanx to all individuals, organizations and companies, who contributed to this great project!

Post was edited 1 time, last by “proclos” ().

First thx 4 your work!

When I use palo.setdata in version 2.0.2 it shows me "0" if my amount is not importet or is different to the one I
      want to import and after the import I get "1" as a result.

Now after I do the import the result is the amount which I importet.
      Unfortunatelly there is no second import possible, it´s remains always the amount which was importet first. Even the
      Formula doesn´t change if I change the import-cell.......

Any hint?

Linux Mint 13 LTS 64bit and Palo 3.1 Server Linux 64bit

as same as

Win 7 32bit, libreoffice 3.6.5.2 and Palo 3.1 Server Windows 32 bit

Thx!
      Ok, at least it´s good to know that the development of PalOOCa is going on!

I tried Palo-ETL as well as Talend but in free versions they are useless because the scheduler isn´t part of them.

In my opinion if those programs would have all functions I would like to have, they would lead in an easy
      to use program like Excel or Calc... Those programs are perfectly designed for working with clearly arranged big data (and well know).

Maybe that´s why the integration „Palo for Excel“ (or maybe in future PalOOCa) is quite popular.

There are only some ETL-things I miss:

If I don´t know what future elements are needed, first I always have to look up if all necessary elements
      of an import-run are in the cube, if not I have to use eadd -formula and then in a second step I can do the import. Sometimes it´s also
      necessary to import the new elements to the correct „level“ or parent-element as well – quite complicated. It would be much
      easier, if during the import the missing new elements would be added to the cube automatically (including a choice on which level or to
      what parent-element they should be added)

Next thing is the choice if an amount should be importet as new amount or if it should be added to an
      existing one (if all dimensions are similiar to an existing data-entry).
      Now all import-lines have to be imported in Excel / Calc and I have to use sumif-formula first, or use one dimension as an unique ID
      for each import-line.

The Palo-Server knows both functionalties because you could use it e.g. in Talend, so maybe it´s possible to expand the palo.setdata formula?! In comparison to Palo for Excel / Palo Base this might be a killer-feature ;)

Another nice-to-have feature for PalOOCa is the copy / paste feature of elements in the modeller which you can find in Palo for Excel.
      It takes a lot of time to import e.g. 3 years day by day (01012013, 02012013, …) and the eadd-formula is
      more complicated comapared to copy / paste out of excel-cells into the modeller.

It´s great to see, that the feature „Data import (Datenimport)“ is added now to PalOOCa, thanks to that! Calc gets slow quite quickly while using
      big data and this feature could make Calc much more usefull for ETL.

For sure PalOOCa is the better alternative to Jedox Base (Palo for Excel 32bit will die out and 64bit does not exist)!

And for future the best thing is that I could use it on open-source and free Linux / libreoffice as well.

Do you know where I can find the Palo Server 5.0 64bit for Linux without any limitations and without ordering a licence from Jedox (which also must be
      activated again every time you want to use new hardware)?

Thx!

Yours

Michael

Europe wrote:

I tried Palo-ETL as well as Talend but in free versions they are useless because the scheduler isn´t part of them.

and what about cronjob or planned tasks ? Schedulers are nothing more than tasks generators

That is one thing that I particularly like at Talend : the Open Source Version has limitations, but that are not limitations that prevent from using 70% of the product features (exception for the shared repository but you can workaround this one with a subversion repository).

Other open-source software vendors (e.g. Jaspersoft, but I am not very up-to-date) do the same, and say : "here is our product, for some things in the open-source version you will have to do all the configuration manually, and so on... but the core product is there". In the case of Jedox this could be : Excel Add-In without "Paste Data Function", rule editor without wizard, etl without components (all would have to be coded)...

This is what I call a real open source policy.
      laloune

Post hoc, non est propter hoc

PaloOCalc & ETL

I agree with Sage on the use of external schedulers. There is a remote client available for ETL server, which you can use in any external scheduler of your choice.

Personally I do not see much sense in implementing ETL functionality in PalOOCa, because ETL-Server is exactly designed for this purpose and is much more flexible and performant than any solution in a spreadsheet I can imagine.

All ETL needs described by Europe (and much more) can be satisfied with it.

However I may be somewhat biased concerning ETL-Server being also an architect and lead developer of this project (server-side). ;)
      I agree that the absence of a good actual ETL-Server Client may pose some difficulties in the future for all people, you are not fond of writing ETL projects in XML.
      But as a matter of fact, once you are familiar with the XML syntax, you quickly get very productive with it.

Anyhow, there is still the possibility hat somebody in future writes a good ETL client for current servers. It may be as web client or as an additional calc plugin. But I see that and the general ETL-issue separate from PalOOCa.

What I can imagine for PalOOCa in the future is the possibility to run ETL-Server jobs by clicking a button in the spreadsheet.

laloune wrote:

Europe wrote:

and what about cronjob or planned tasks ? Schedulers are nothing more than tasks generators

That is one thing that I particularly like at Talend : the Open Source Version has limitations, but that are not limitations that prevent from using 70% of the product features (exception for the shared repository but you can workaround this one with a subversion repository).

Other open-source software vendors (e.g. Jaspersoft, but I am not very up-to-date) do the same, and say : "here is our product, for some things in the open-source version you will have to do all the configuration manually, and so on... but the core product is there". In the case of Jedox this could be : Excel Add-In without "Paste Data Function", rule editor without wizard, etl without components (all would have to be coded)...

This is what I call a real open source policy.

Hi,

and how can I start the Talend-Job using cron? I use Linux Mint 17.2

Thx!
      ok, thx.

I use gnome-schedule for Cron, this works fine.
      But, how could I export a job in Talend? Right mouseclick on the Job and then "export items"?
      Or do I have to use the "scheduler [deprecated]" in the menu and safe that stuff?

And generally, have you ever tried to import attributes to a Palo-Server using Talend tPaloOutputMulti? I can´t find any further help to that
      topic.
      (It would be also a help if you could only tell me if it is possible at all)

Thanks for your time!
      Thx for the link to TFM ;o)

Haven´t tested it yet, but I think that´s what I was looking for.

And, as a information, the tPaloOutputMulti works perfect for adding
      attributes. The key is to handle every attribute for a dimension as a
      new single cube.

Again, thx so far for your help!!!