Editing a cube

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• RE: Editing a cube

Hello,
    Changing cube structure has impact on data. What would you do with the existing data if you remove a few dimensions from cube? Cube structure would change and it would be very hard to reconstruct old data into new cube structure. What you can always do, is to create new cube and fill it with data. Maybe someone with more experience with other OLAP products can comment on this.
    Mit freundlichen Gruessen/ With kind Regards / Meilleures salutations

Vladislav Malicevic
    VP Development & Support
    Jedox AG
  • Hi,

I have exerience with Microsoft Analysis Services 2000 MOLAP (MSAS) and with this experience I am trying to understand the concept of PALO and see the differences.

If data is in PALO it is quite easy to make great MIS solutions in Excel.

Compared with MSAS I have still trouble to get data in the PALO OLAP cube and dimensions. Even with your Excel sheets it is not so easy to do so with own data.

Further more I would suggest you to have data imported as you can with Excel Pivot tables. Just have a range of data with a columnname and all is imported automatic. If you have such a simple easy to use importmodel I think more and more people will use this as replacement of Excel Pivottables.

Regards, Marco
  • Easy Import of Relational Data

Marco,

Palo's way of creating a cube is different from MS AS. This is because Palo is not so much targeting relational databases as input source as MS AS or Pivot Tables are doing. Palo has planning in mind and Palo users will very often be in a situation where there isn't any relational data available at planning time. That is why we implemented a different cube building concept than MS AS.

If you simply want to use Palo as a replacement of Pivot-Tables (which is possible, but is not the most important design goal of Palo), you will shortly see a sophisticated ETL-Tool for Palo from cubeware.de. This allows to simply select columns of a relational table as build instructions for a Palo Cube and will then automatically create (and update) Palo Cubes.

Regards
    Kristian