Rules Performance: Help with Markers

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Rules Performance: Help with Markers

Hello there,

Previous I was an MIS Alea user hence very impressed with the Palo server. I have one major problem though and this is performance of the DB concerning when using rules between two cubes.

My rules (only II) are simple.

I have a data cube (11 dimensions) and a currencies cube (5 diemnsions). I want to convert all the data in my data cube into the the currency of choice using the rates from the currencies cube.

I.e. i enter data in on a transaction currency i.e. T_EUR
      If I want to see the amount in CHF then the rule simply
      CHF = T_CHF * (currencies cube) CHF + T_EUR * (currencies cube) EUR.

However the performance (currently working on a local server) is appalling, considering the amount of data I am trying to pull through. Under 1000 values for example, in an excel retrieve using palo.datav

I was interested to learn about Markers, but am not able to currently incorporate then as I do not understand them properly and could not find too many resources.

Any ideas - suggestions GREATLY appreciated... I cannot look at a white screen, "Excel not responding" anymore...

Kind regards

William
    • RE: Rules Performance: Help with Markers

Hi,

Thanks for the tip, I tried it and after 8 minutes of calculation it crashed out. I will try again though.

(I am hoping to move away from local server v. soon, but I have heard this may not instantly solve the problem)

I will play some more with my caches as well. Did I hear a rumour of a new release in November that will have improved rule functionality.

A currency conversion rule for me is fundamental, I would like this to work.

Thnaks again for the help, all adivce and tips greatly appreciated.

William

Hi There,

Sorry no more luck after testing this morning..

Let me know what further information or data I could forward if anyone would like to have a look.

My aim is to pull a simple P&L statement in a consolidated currency, and it just shuts down the computer.

I will aim to get the DB on the server today, but I am worried that will not instantly fix it?

As always many thnaks for any help.

Kind regards

William

Here It is, I hope i have posted the correct documents.

Many thanks for this. There are only C. 500+ values in there I did for a quick test.

I included the current rule as well as a txt file, I hope this can be of some help.

William

The post was edited 1 time, last by WLLOYD80 ().

I recognized that you are doing a quite complex calulation with two PALO.DATAs accessing the original cube (the one with the rule).

I would expect something like this:

['EUR'] = N: ['CHF'] *PALO.DATA("DB","Currencies",!'Time',!'Scenario',"EUR","Kurs")

For your DB:
      Did you try this one?
      ['CHF'] = N:['T_CHF']* PALO.DATA("somnium","OL Currencies",!'Time',!'Scenario',"T_CHF","Kurs") + ['T-EUR'] * PALO.DATA("somnium","OL Currencies",!'Time',!'Scenario',"T_EUR","Kurs")

(You don't have to read values in the cube the rule is placed in with PALO.DATA-Formulas and can use [''] syntax instead).

Holger

The post was edited 2 times, last by h_decker ().

Hello there,

Early results sadly not as promising as I hoped.

Is it possibly I have the wrong settings, i.e. not enough ram or I must adjust the caches? My knowedlge is not too great here sadly.

I get the same message in Excel 2007, Calculation is running 2 Processor(s) 0% same after 10 minutes...

Then the normal open task manager white screen computer crash and some unsavoury words...

Now try

['CHF'] = N:[['T_CHF']]* PALO.DATA("somnium","OL Currencies",!'Time',!'Scenario',"T_CHF","Kurs") + [['T-EUR']] * PALO.DATA("somnium","OL Currencies",!'Time',!'Scenario',"T_EUR","Kurs")

==>see double brackets around T_CHF and T_EUR. These are markers for T_CHF and T_EUR. That means that rule is only executed for filled T_CHF and T_EUR cells. This should speed up. After setting them save the rule and restart server to be sure that markers are set....just in case. Then retry.

BTW: Do you get an error message or just white screen which obviously means that excel with PALO is still calculating?

Holger

Hi there,

Thanks for your constant suggestions and help).

I have now implemented the new rule:
      ['CHF'] = N:[['T_CHF']] * PALO.DATA("somnium","OL Currencies",!'Time',!'Scenario',"T_CHF","Kurs") + [['T_EUR']] * PALO.DATA("somnium","OL Currencies",!'Time',!'Scenario',"T_EUR","Kurs")

The problem now is that it will not calculate CHF. If I pull the view on T_EUR or T_CHF, then I see the amounts enterred. Hpwever when I select CHF I see nothing.

I have checked that there are currency rates etc in the currencies cube.

When I remove the double bracket, it then goes to calculate, but whiote screen (no error message) indicating the calculation is taking a very long time!!

Does it help if I change the order of the rule and calculate T_EUR first?

no sorry for the confusion.

this is the only rule. I just thought if I rearranged this rule with the T_EUR calculation first.

Currently CHF = T_CHF * T_CHF(currencies cube) + T_EUR * T_EUR(currencies cube)

I tried CHF = T_EUR * T_EUR(currencies cube) + T_CHF * T_CHF(currencies cube).

It works for me. I entered a test rate of 2, entered 500 for T_CHF and got 1000 for CHF (which is of cource nonsense but demonstrates the techique) :)

I made a screenshot of the views and attached them.

A bigger testview with about 2000 cells and CHF chosen takes about 2 secs.

Holger
      Images
      • curr_conv.jpg

110.79 kB, 778×686, viewed 2,790 times

It works!!

My problem was I loaded the currency values in the currency cube AFTER I uploaded the values in the main data cube. FOr some reason this causes a problem?

Calculation time was a few seconds..

I thnak you immensly. If there is somewhere I can donate to keep this service gong let me know as it was really valuable.

THANK YOU HOLGER!!!