linux server: database directory permissions

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• linux server: database directory permissions

Hello,

while experimenting with the palo server setup on a debian 3.1 box, I noticed that newly-created databases are created as subdirectories below the palo root directory, but with a real strange permissions mask: "d-----S---".
    In words:

d directory
    - user cannot read
    - user cannot write
    - user cannot execute
    - group cannot read
    - group cannot write
    S ???
    - others cannot read
    - others cannot write
    - others cannot execute

That isn't any problem as long as the palo binary ist started as root. Root can read and write everywhere despite of directory masks. But if the binary is startet from, say, a dedicated palo user, it would lock out the server from the self-created, new database.

What is the reason for those strange directory permissions?
  • RE: linux server: database directory permissions

As a workaround, I could adjust the permissions as root, after the database directory had been created. That works for me, because I don't create databases all day long. But it's still a bug imho, and I would love to see it corrected in one of the next versions. After source code release, I'd be able to correct it myself, though.

Hi introibo,

when you open a shell as the user that runs that datbase and enter

umask

what do you get ?

The umask determines the access rights when files and directories are created. Palo might set it programmatically, but unless it does that it is picked up from the starting process.

Regards
    Stepan Rutz, Tensegrity-Software

Hello Stepan,

the palo user's umask is set to 0002.

Creating directories as the palo user, I can simulate the palo server behaviour by setting umask to 777.

My guess is, that directory permissions are set deliberately by the palo server binary. I just can't think of an appropiate reason.

The post was edited 1 time, last by introibo ().

Hello!
    Sorry for not responding earlier. Somehow I didn’t see this thread until now. Anyway regarding this issue, we acknowledge it and will provide explanation/solution for it by the time version 1.0 is out.
    Mit freundlichen Gruessen/ With kind Regards / Meilleures salutations

Vladislav Malicevic
    VP Development & Support
    Jedox AG