Schedule Data Import

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Hi Paolo,

if you're hell-bent on sticking to Excel for your import you might want to use your os-scheduler to start an excel workbook which triggers the import by using an auto_open makro. This "architecture" would work, but would would look somewhat exotic.
    Try coding the import using one of the palo apis. This should allow for an easier integration into your favoured scheduling solution.

Regards,
    Jörk
  • Hello Jörk,

the fact is that the first thing you suggested me does not work.
    Since I haven't fin a way to write in VBA (Excel Macro) action content in "Import" Button I can not use Excel Macro.

The only thing seem to use C libraries...anyway is not neither user friendly nor less exotic.

Morover I can't schedule "Procedure" based on "Import cube" and so on without programming (that means time, costs, an so on)

I think is a pity that a great tool like Palo is has such limitation.

Anyhow if I will build up a tool for an easy importing setting and scheduling I will open it to the comunity.

Paolo
  • Hello!
    Palo currently does not include standalone import/export tool (apart from functionality provided in Excel Add-in). You can however, use Palo libraries and build one such tool by yourself. There are a number of features scheduled for the future versions. Some of them are improved VBA support (additional VBA functions to support import/export) and replication between local and network servers.

How often do you do import/export? Is there a reason why you are doing this frequently? If you describe us your problem in more detail, maybe we can suggest you some alternative way of doing this.
    Mit freundlichen Gruessen/ With kind Regards / Meilleures salutations

Vladislav Malicevic
    VP Development & Support
    Jedox AG
  • Hello,

here the big picture:

I have a Datawarehouse with transaction data. Obviously this is updated every day. OLAP cube should be updated to every day. It would be fine in batch.

Moreover export and import well combined in "procedure" are all is needed to buil some application such as computing provvision, cost accounting an so on.

Beeing quite honest, in my experience, I think that if Palo will have this function (+ roadmapped security function) it will become a blockbuster in SME Market.

I hope i succeed in explain why I think this is so important for Palo successfull use.

Thanks a lot,

Paolo
  • Hello,

It is easy to use the EXCEL API from vba to write an import program as a macro (as easy I think as using the import wizard and I can give an example I wrote).

Just take care to put

paloret_1 = Application.Run("PALO.ENABLE_LOOP", True)

at the beginning, and

paloret_1 = Application.Run("PALO.ENABLE_LOOP", False)

at the end, advise that has been given somewhere in the FORUM, some weeks ago.
    LJ
  • No email declaration! see file palovba.txt (a comment about the database) short file to load to follow.. The macro loads cube (CT2 into database CT2) and dimensions (DONNEE,MOIS,PRODUIT,CLIENTELE,ENTITE); hierarchies in ENTITE (five levels), CLIENTELE (four levels) and PRODUIT (2 levels).
    Files
    • palovba.txt

(2.47 kB, downloaded 792 times, last: )
    LJ

The post was edited 1 time, last by L.Jaouan ().

• RE: vba example

hello,

Glad I could help. If you do not have hierarchies, it should be easy to make your one and only program load dimensions and a cube automatically, asking for some names (database, cube) using the first line of a csv file which gives the names and some conventions (first upper case character if the data is a dimension element..). Perhaps you could use the second line to explain how to update hierarchies if you have some (giving the number of the data which is the parent...and keeping some data in memory...) Just contrive a trick to know also the order of the dimensions, in the cube....
    LJ
  • Just to pay attention

Hello,

if you use the method suggested in previus post by L. J. be carefull: value in cube are continuosly replaced for row with the same dimension.

Example of records

y 30

If you read this file in a cube having only one dimension (first char) your cube will have

y = 30; x=10

-> Extract a query already computed with Sum

Furtermore I havent found jet a smar way to extract cube (since there is no Palo function). I hope I will find it ASAP and I will add to this post.
  • exporting a cube with the modeller tool

There is a way which is not very apparent but has been given by the palo team in a forum's thread about three weeks ago : in the modeller, click on a cube in the right pane, then make a right click : the last option is to export data in a text or csv file file.
    LJ

The post was edited 1 time, last by L.Jaouan ().