Save data in Oracle DB

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Save data in Oracle DB

Hi,

I'm a new palo fan. Yesterday I downloaded and tested that very helpful and easy to use tool. I had no problems to use it so far but a question concerning the Palo database (Palo server).

Is it possible to store the data in an Oracle DB instead using the Palo server? Since we are using a lot of oracle DBs at our company we had some machines running. A good opportunity would be to put another Oracle instance for Palo on one Oracle server instead of setting up a separate machine on the network for Palo.

I tried the Palo DB Wizard but without success:
    I clicked on "Register new server", filled in the form with server name, port etc and clicked on "Test Connection" and waited up to 20 minutes but nothing happend ?

The import of data from an existing Oracle table was no problem. A write-back of these imported data seems not to be possible?

Could you please give me an advice
    Thomas
  • RE: Save data in Oracle DB

Hello!
    1) What you are looking for is ROLAP – flavor of OLAP which uses relational database to store its data. Palo is MOLAP.
    2) Could you please explain in more detail what you are trying to do? Establish connection from Excel with Palo Add-in as client with remote Palo server, or something else?
    3) You can do CSV export of cube data (Modeller, right-click on cube, Export from context menu).
    Mit freundlichen Gruessen/ With kind Regards / Meilleures salutations

Vladislav Malicevic
    VP Development & Support
    Jedox AG

Hi,

thanks for your reponse.

What I did with success is to get some data via ODBC from Oracle tables into Excel/Palo for evaluation.
    What I'm looking for is a write-back function of these data (in case of changes) into the original oracle tables. I found no way so far to write it back via ODBC or via the Palo DB Wizard (Database Connection). I don't know if write-back via ODBC would be possible with Palo?
    I understood from the manual that write-back is possible when I'm using the Palo server.

I learned from your reply that storing of data in oracle or other RDBMS instead of using an Palo server will not be possible.

Best regards,
    Thomas

Hello!
    Yes, you are right. You can’t STORE data directly into relational database, but as I said in my previous post, you can EXPORT data from Palo into CSV file. You can then import CSV values into your database. Exporting data directly from Palo AKA “ODBC export” seams like interesting feature for some future Palo version.
    Mit freundlichen Gruessen/ With kind Regards / Meilleures salutations

Vladislav Malicevic
    VP Development & Support
    Jedox AG