How complex can a rule be?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How complex can a rule be?

The rule below returned an error:
      Too Many arguments for function. Too complex or expression to complex.

Does anyone know the limits on what cna be added to an expression in terms of rule depth etc.

Are there any limits on what can be added to a rule?

Mike Potashnick

'GBP'] = IF((!'Company') == "xxxxxx UK",STET(),IF((!'Company') == "Canada",STET(),IF((!'Company') == "Australia",['Local'] / PALO.DATA("xxxx","Actual Fcast ExRate",!'Months',!'Years',!'Version',PALO.DATA("xxxxx","#_Staff Name","Staff Cur",!'Staff Name')),IF((!'Company') == "Ixxxx",['Local'] / PALO.DATA("xxxxxMedia","Actual Fcast ExRate",!'Months',!'Years',!'Version',PALO.DATA("xxxxx","#_Staff Name","Staff Cur",!'Staff Name')),IF((!'Company') == "Holland",['Local'] / PALO.DATA("xxxxx","Actual Fcast ExRate",!'Months',!'Years',!'Version',PALO.DATA("xxxxx","#_Staff Name","Staff Cur",!'Staff Name')),IF((!'Company') == "USA",['Local'] / PALO.DATA("xxxx","Actual Fcast ExRate",!'Months',!'Years',!'Version',PALO.DATA("xxxxx","#_Staff Name","Staff Cur",!'Staff Name')),IF(PALO.DATA("xxxxx","#_Staff Name","Country",!'Staff Name') == "UK",IF((!'Version') != "Actual",['Local'] / PALO.DATA("xxxxx","Actual Fcast ExRate",!'Months',!'Years',!'Version',PALO.DATA("xxxx","#_Staff Name","Staff Cur",!'Staff Name')),STET()),IF(PALO.DATA("xxxxxx","#_Staff Name","Country",!'Staff Name') == "Canada",IF((!'Version') != "Actual",['Local'] / PALO.DATA("xxxxxMedia","Actual Fcast ExRate",!'Months',!'Years',!'Version',PALO.DATA("xxxxMedia","#_Staff Name","Staff Cur",!'Staff Name')),STET()),['Local'] / PALO.DATA("xxxx","Actual Fcast ExRate",!'Months',!'Years',!'Version',PALO.DATA("xxxxxMedia","#_Staff Name","Staff Cur",!'Staff Name'))))))))))
      Mike Potashnick
      CFMS - The place to come for Budgeting, Reporting & Planning Intelligence
    • RE: How complex can a rule be?

Hi Mike,

From my understanding that error just means the rule editor window cannot dissect the rule to build the target and source areas in the rule editor window.

From my own experience this does not prevent the rule from working, it just makes it harder to make changes without being able to use the full functionality of the rule editor.

You can give larger rules a bit more space by clicking the Hide Comment button in the rule editor window.

I hope this helps.

Rod
    • RE: How complex can a rule be?

Hi Mike,

Looking at your rule, I think it's unnecessarily complex. You can eliminate the IF's by defining multiple rules for multiple area's (Companies).

F.i.:
      ['GBP','xxxxxx UK'] = STET()
      ['GBP','Canada'] = STET()
      ['GBP','Australia'] = ['Local'] / PALO.DATA("xxxx","Actual FcastExRate",!'Months',!'Years',!'Version',PALO.DATA("xxxxx","#_Staff Name","Staff Cur",!'Staff Name'))
      etc.

You could also set an attribute on the Company dimension defining whether to STET or to calculate, resulting in a rule like:
      ['GBP'] = IF(PALO.DATA("#_Company","STET",!'Company') == "Y", STET(), ['Local'] / PALO.DATA("xxxx","Actual FcastExRate",!'Months',!'Years',!'Version',PALO.DATA("xxxxx","#_Staff Name","Staff Cur",!'Staff Name'))

As a sidenote I think that the rule should be restricted to N-level (by prefixing the rule with N: )

Michel