Palo.element_list_descendants

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Palo.element_list_descendants

Hello everyone,

I am currently thinking about using the array PALO.ELEMENT_LIST_DESCENDANTS in an Excel sheet.

It is quite powerful since it can request all descendant of an element, whatever the level of this element.

Still, it is impossible to sort the requested descendants correctly:
    - it does not sort per parent / child
    - it does not sort alphabetically
    - it does not sort numerically

then how ? the order of sorting looks totally arbitrary :(

Any idea ?

Thanks in advance!
    laloune

Post hoc, non est propter hoc
  • RE: Palo.element_list_descendants

Maybe if you need more control you should use a PALO.SUBSET() with a hierarchy filter.

Following is an example that shows all descendants for "Stationary PC" sorted by element name:

=PALO.SUBSET("localhost/Demo";"Products";1;;PALO.HFILTER("Stationary PC's";FALSE;FALSE; );;;;;PALO.SORT(1;2;;0;;0;1))

it looks tricky but you can use the PALO.SUBSET editor to build the right function.

George
  • Actually the SUBSET() functions containing a data filter are slow, if they do not, there is usually no real problem.

Still, there are ways of sorting the elements using some Excel tricks, if I find some time these days I will set up a little example in Excel how to do that.

Regards
    Holger
  • Here we are: Find attached an example of how to sort a list of descendants in alphabetical order, both by means of Excel and through a PALO.SUBSET() formula.

You can see by the way that the result set of PALO.ELEMENT_LIST_DESCENDANTS() seems to be sorted by parent, see column C.

Have fun
    Holger
  • holger_b wrote:

Here we are: Find attached an example of how to sort a list of descendants in alphabetical order, both by means of Excel and through a PALO.SUBSET() formula.

You can see by the way that the result set of PALO.ELEMENT_LIST_DESCENDANTS() seems to be sorted by parent, see column C.

Have fun
    Holger

Hello, this is my first post on this forum, so at first 'Hi everyone' and sorry for bringing up this old thread :)

I am currently facing the exact same problem, that I would like to arrange a list of descendants in alphabetical order but I can't figure out how to do this in Excel since does not allow me to change an existing array. Seeing as there seems to be a solution (mentioned above by Holger) I would like to ask if someone could repost/reconstruct this solution as it would be very helpful for me.

Thanks in advance and greetings from Berlin :)