Measure does not aggregate

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Measure does not aggregate

Hello everybody.

I downloaded and installed Palo Suite 3.2 for testing. I specified all settings for all steps in ETL Manager and created cube and dimensions. But there is the problem with aggregation.

I have read this thread jedox.com/community/palo-forum/thread.php?threadid=2082. So I specified weights for all transformation stages deleted cube and dimensions and created them from scratch. But values still remain not aggregated.

May be I should explicitly declare datatype somewhere? And do I understand it right that "to check aggregation settings in Modeller" means to assure all not leaf elements have a weight?
      What can be the reason of the problem?

Regards, Ivan

The post was edited 2 times, last by cronix ().

• RE: Measure does not aggregate

Hello Ivan,

a common mistake might be that the element which you try to aggregate is string type. Be aware that if just one dimension element in the cell coordinates is string type, the cell will be string.

Consolidation factor is applied to the base elements in a consolidation, so check if there is a consolidation factor <> 0 in all the consolidations which you check.

Does that help?

Regards
      Holger

Originally posted by holger_b
      a common mistake might be that the element which you try to aggregate is string type. Be aware that if just one dimension element in the cell coordinates is string type, the cell will be string.

Well, all elements in column which is aggregated are numeric.
      But there is a difference I mentioned between dimensions in "Biker_ETL" database and dimensions in my database. All leaf elements of all dimensions in Biker_ETL are marked with "123" (I suppose it means numeric) when in mine they are marked with "abc" (suppose string).

What depends it on? How to change them to numeric?

The post was edited 1 time, last by cronix ().

Yes, abc is for string. To change this, open modeller - right click on element - switch to numeric.

The element type relates to the type of data which you want to fill in: In order to fill in figures, you need a numeric element. In a typical OLAP model, there are only very few string elements, such as description (usually attributes) or comment, all the other are numeric, as for example product:

One might think that product needs to be a string element since product is a string, but the product name is just a label for the "container" (= cube cell) in which you will put data like quantity and turnover.

A bit mindbending in the beginning, but you will accomodate to that way of thinking.

Regards
      Holger

The post was edited 1 time, last by holger_b ().