Connection Microstrategy or Cognos to PALO cubes using ODBO/XMLA

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Connection Microstrategy or Cognos to PALO cubes using ODBO/XMLA

Hi All

We are trying to connect to PALO from Microstrategy (or Cognos in other situations). TM1 has connectors that are standard drivers for both Cognos and Microstrategy to connect to it. Palo has a data source (ODBO) but I cannot get to it with Microstrategy.

We have a budgeting application and the client wants to be able to used Microstrategy to deploy report to their existing users.

Has anyone had experience trying to do this? Is it possible, and if so what do I need to do to get this working.

The only option I have now is to export the data to a SQL server data base and use RDBMS reporting from a warehouse. This is not ideal as it make it look like Palo os not open to conenctions and it forces them to need to use a data warehouse with it. (I know we can report well in PALO Web but the client already has a big community using Microstrategy)

Do we have get develop a data provider utility withthe SDK. Like the JPalo does for Jaspersoft and Pentaho?

Thanks
    • Hi Mark,

If you are using the Community version then ODBO only works within Excel.

Not sure if you have taken a look at the ETL server as this has a lot of options for pushing data to and from Palo and you can trigger jobs to run via batch files from other applications.

Hope this helps.

Rod
    • Rod wrote:

Hi Mark,

If you are using the Community version then ODBO only works within Excel.

Not sure if you have taken a look at the ETL server as this has a lot of options for pushing data to and from Palo and you can trigger jobs to run via batch files from other applications.

Hope this helps.

Rod

Thanks Rod.

I need to confirm whether the connection was possible directly in that same way Jaspersoft can connect to Palo (I think). This is for a Premium deal at one of my clients where Cognos is a competitor and the client knows that TM1 provides access directly from Cognos BI and Microstrategy.
      I have have experience with the ETL as a data-pusher and successfull illustrated this to the client by sending data from Palo to a SQL Server data warehouse.

I just have the Cognos/TM1 sales guys frightening the client with the usual sales scare tactics.

If you think it is useful to contact me directly about this then my email is mark.maddock@finity.com.sg
      Cheers
      Mark
    • Hi Mark,

Where I haven't been able to directly connect PALO to another application via SQL or whatever I have generally gotten around the issue by:

• creating a process to extract data from Palo
      • creating a process in the target system to import the data (sometime you need others to do this...)
      • creating a job through windows task scheduler that executes both sides i.e. Palo export and target import

This isn't the best solution because things can go wrong but 99% of the time it works as expected and it appears seamless to the client.

I don't know much about Microstrategy but you may be able to do something fancy with web calls or their SDK if you have the skills.

Hope this helps.

Rod
    • Hi Rod,

generally speaking Palo, TM1 and MicroStrategy are the same tools.

Palo and TM1 have their own OLAP-DBMS underneath. Microstrategy has it "kind of" - I would call it a cache.

To get these tools floating you connect them to other datasources and extract the data (Palo, TM1) or cache the data/drill through (Microstrategy).

I would NOT connect Palo to Microstrategy directly - even if it were possible. Same goes for TM1.
      It could make sense to connect Microstrategy to the Palo-Cubes.

What you can do and I have done it: look at the datasources (the tables) in Microstrategy and use them as Input for Palo. Same goes for the dimensions - "Atttributes" in MSI-speak. That would be doing things in parallel.

So it comes all down to an "either or" decision.

Pick any of the tools. You should get any BI job done with them.

Palo is the most economical IMO.

TM1 is very mature and longest on the market. You get a warm "IBM-Feeling".

Microstrategy is extremely bloated and hard to set up and keep running, good job security for BI though .... You could get around setting up special (OLAP-)databases but for performance reasons you need a tailored datawarehouse if you are in the league to pay Microstrategy licenses.

You should really be very precise on your desired features and then choose the tools that fulfills them with the least effort/$$$.