Moving Database to Remote Server

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Moving Database to Remote Server

I've been successfully running Palo Excel against a local 3.2 Palo server on my laptop. I had some success moving the database to a remote server running Palo OLAP. But when I tried to copy an updated database (data folder) to the server, some of my Elements in one of my dimensions are not showing data. The dimension elements show up in the Excel Modeller, but the data for some of the elements are zero. The same database on my laptop is showing all the elements along with the correct data.

I stopped the service on the server, deleted the old data folder in the correct folder, copied the new data folder from my laptop, deleted the palo.csv file in the data folder, and restarted the server. The new/refreshed database shows up on Excel running on the server, I can create a palo.datac query and get results, but again, one dimension is having issues with a few elements. The originating database on my laptop is still showing the correct results.

My question: am I doing something wrong during the copy/move over to the server from my laptop? I read all the posts and the manual about this and it looks like I'm covering all the steps. I've tried various approaches in the ETL on my laptop with the trouble dimension, but still, the results are correct on the laptop but are incorrect on the server.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Paul
  • Hi,

psenatori wrote:

I stopped the service on the server, deleted the old data folder in the correct folder, copied the new data folder from my laptop

did you stop your laptop's Molap Service as well?
    Did you check the olap_server.log after the first start with the copied database?

Regards.
  • Thanks for the Quick Response!

Your suggestion worked!!! I was under the impression that only the services on the target server needed to be stopped, and not those on the originating server with my database. Stopped all services, let the commits complete (took about 10 minutes given the size of my cubes) and voila, things look much brighter on the server. Browsed the logs for problems - none.

I should have known that an in-memory based system needed to flush to disk before I could have a portable database image.

Thanks again,
    Paul