Web - Dynarange with another source

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Web - Dynarange with another source

Hi everybody,

I wonder whether this is possible to populate a dynarange using other method as a subset or an odbc query.

I would have said "yes" because of the "Formula" option but I tried the following and this does not work.

Let's assume I have values in the range A1:A4.

When I use the following as source:

- =A1:A4 => returns only the first element (in A1)
    - =OFFSET(A1;0;0;1;4) => does not work (#VALUE!)
    - named variable aaaa with source A1:A4 => returns the first ellement
    - use of the function asarray() (would make sense) : =asarray(A1:A4) => returns the first element
    - ={"hello";"world"} => works ! wtf ? something more dynamic maybe ?

question : what is this field here for if this cannot be properly used ?!

when putting a PALO.SUBSET Formula using the generator this works though.
    Even more mystery : when pasting a PALO.SUBSET Formula in the worksheet, and the formula in the Dynarange formula field, guest what... => returns NOTHING

any idea ?
    cheers,
    laloune

Post hoc, non est propter hoc

The post was edited 1 time, last by laloune ().

• I tried to reproduce you behavior a bit (using 5.0 SR1), but failed. If I put some texts in A1:A4, then create a DynaRange with =A1:A4 as formula, it will show exactly these texts as "elements".

There is something to consider, though. DynaRanges were intended for use with Subsets, and Subsets results contain three columns of information: an element name, an alias, and an indent / level info*. So, if the source specified for a DynaRange conforms to this structure (is a multiple of three with the last "column" containing an integer), the DR assumes it's a subset, and thus only shows what it perceives as "elements", the first column.

Example:
    A1: "test1" B1: "alias1" C1:1

DynaRange formula: =A1:C1
    DynaRange Shows: "test1"
    If you were to turn on "Use Alias" option in DR properties, it would instead only show "alias1".

Hope this helps.

----
    * In the subset itself, the order is actually indent | element | alias.
  • Hello Dominik,

actually I've just realized that I made a confusing mistake in my first message. The source was not A1:A4 but A1:D1 (meaning, on an horizontal basis)

in the case of a vertical axis this work without problem.

still, isn't it weird as A1:D1 yet this range returns also the right array ?
    laloune

Post hoc, non est propter hoc