Calender Weeks in PALO

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Calender Weeks in PALO

Hi *,

I'm using Excel as a data input tool to Palo. I already configured a time dimension.

1. Year-
    2. Q1-
    3. Jan-Feb-Mar-

and so on...

Now I have to introduce calender week numbers in this structure. The problem is that calender weeks don't end at the end of a month but instead span across 2 month. For example, calender week number 5 in 2007 is party in January and partly in February. My workaround would be to introduce a calender week 5A and calender week 5B.

1. Year-
    2. Q1-
    3. Jan-
    4. CW1-CW2-CW3-CW4-CW5A-

and so on...

That's certainly not a very elegant way to solve this problem. In addition to that, calender weeks change from year to year. So I can't use a static solution... Any ideas how to solve this problem?

Regards,
    Steve
  • RE: Calender Weeks in PALO

You could add 5 dimensions within each month and call them JANW1, JANW2, JANW3, JANW4, JANW5, FEBW1, etc. That way, when you're populating the cube, you just pick what week in the month you want the data to belong to.

That would also let you standardize your excel reports by making 5 weeks for every month.

Regards,
    Jason
  • RE: Calender Weeks in PALO

Thanks jgibbs!

I was thinking the same way but there're some other problems coming up this way:

For example April 2007:

Mo Di Mi Do Fr Sa So
    2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    16 17 18 19 20 21 22
    23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Here one would have to add 6 dimensions to the April parent element... and in addition to that 2 calender week dimensions would only contain 1 day...

Thanks again for your input. Maybe there're some other suggestions how to solve the problem.

Regards,
    Steve

The post was edited 1 time, last by ssauerw ().