SAVE BUTTON - save data that is typed into non formula cells

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• SAVE BUTTON - save data that is typed into non formula cells

Hi *,

I'm accessing and writing to PALO through an Excel interface. Unfortunately, there is no UNDO function available but I wanna avoid unwanted data entries or and data losses... One way to solve the problem is to work with some VBA. I found this quote in another thread:

*QUOTE BEGINS - USER: h_decker*
    one solution is to let users enter values in non-formula cells and perform writeback in (hidden) PALO.SETDATA-formulas. One nice thing about this is that you got the possibility to create a kind of "Save" button that recalcs the sheet and triggers the SETDATA-formulas.

Greetings from cologne
    Holger

*QUOTE END*

A save button is really what I need in this situation. Has anyone implemented something like this?

Regards,
    Steve

The post was edited 1 time, last by ssauerw ().

• RE: SAVE BUTTON - save data that is typed into non formula cells

Hi,
    first of all turn of automatic calculation. You can do e.g. in in Workbook-Open event:

Private Sub Workbook_Open()

Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual

End Sub

Place a button on your sheet(s) and attach the follwoing VBA to its click-event:

Example:

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()

ActiveSheet.Calculate

End Sub

Whenever Button is clicked PALO.SETDATA-Formulas are executed due to calculation of your sheet.

Hope this helps.

Holger
  • RE: SAVE BUTTON - save data that is typed into non formula cells

Thanks Holger,

this should work just fine. Did anyone implement a "real" undo function. I guess, you need some extensive VBA-programming but it should work. Something like this:

1.) when a cell in a predefined input array is edited -> copy value into a cache. (maybe all dimension attributes)
    2.) put this on Application.OnUndo
    3.) call a procedure and execute a setdata statement

just a rough draft...
    Any comments more than welcome!

Steve