How to import attributes

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• How to import attributes

Is there an extension for the syntax of EADD to write attributes to a dimension element?

Or do I do it via the virtual cube #_Dimension_ and insert the elements there?

Lets say I have a dimension with place names in Germany and I alternatively want the display of the Zip code as another attribute. And if I managed this, can I reference the attribute value as well (meaning can I use the zip code in a palo.data function instead of the place name)?

Thanks,
    Mario
  • Attribute import with the PDI/Kettle-Plugin

Hi,

I handle my data import / ETL with the Pentaho Data Integrator (PDI / former kettle or spoon). There I can Import Dimensions from fields, with Level hierarchy and Cells from Fields as values, but I can't find a way to import depending attributes to a Level.

Has someone experience with that?

thx alot,

Christian
  • RE: Attribute import with the PDI/Kettle-Plugin

When you create a dimension in Palo, it also automatically creates a special dimension and a special cube to support attributes for the original dimension.

For instance if you create a dimension called Product, Palo also creates a dimension called #_Product_ and a cube called #_Product

The elements you load into the dimension #_Product_ must be the "headlines" for the attributes you want to use for the Product dimension. This could be "Weight", "Color", "Price Per Unit" etc.

The special cube #_Product is defined by the original dimension Product and the attribute-dimension #_Product_

So you have to load the attribute values for each the combination of the individual Products and the 3 attributes "Weight", "Color", "Price Per Unit" into this cube.

Make sure to set the correct "Element Type" for each of the attributes. "Color" should have Element Type = String because each color-value are strings, when loaded into the cube, while "Price Per Unit" would have Element Type = Numeric.