palo vs. pivot

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• RE: palo vs. pivot

Originally posted by tbk41538
    Hello

Why is Palo better than Pivot in excel?

I have some arguments, but I would like to see this discussion from other perspectives! Please submit some inspired answers.

THX

Hi,

in my case I have the problems that I do have much more data than the max. 64536 rows a Worksheet can offer. Thats my problem nr.1

And it's much more comfortable to handle, for me.

ReadYa

Mike
  • Just a few quick thoughts.

1) PivotTable isn't multiuser
    2) You can't make changes via pivot tables
    3) PivotTable aren't as versatile
    4) PivotTables don't have a calculation Engine - You will see a big difference when rules are implemented
    5) You don't have an audit trail with PivotTables
    6) How do you perfrom Top down planning - ie Spreading / splashing with a pivot table?
    7) Palo is a database - and can handle numerical and string data - can you show string data in a pivot table?
    8) How would you easily perform planning with a pivot table / implement multiple scenerios?
    9) Can you easily program PivotTables or embed pivot tables in your own solution
  • Just because the front end of palo is an excel addin doesn't mean it isn't capable. Most commercial OLAP servers also use Excel Add-ins eg Essbase and SAP BW
    However the server component is a database - in the case of palo its a real time MOLAP database. Which means that unlike many OLAP technologies you can write values back to memory (ideal for planning, budgeting and forecasting type uses). Since data is consolidated in Real Time you don't have to wait a long time for cubes to be processed and you wont suffer from "database explosion" which can occur in OLAP server which precalculate all of the values including hierarchy based values.
    A product such as PALO might be be used for reporting on data or used to build complex models of a business. The model might have multiple scenerios eg Actual data downloaded from a accounting systems, Budget Data, Forecast Data etc.. An accountant might build a P&L, Balancesheet and cashflow and could then watch the effect of changes on his business, you couldn't do this this a pivot table. Palo can offer not only bottom up but also top down planning capabilities.

Regarding Pivot tables - here are my ideas
    - Palo is more than a simple pivot table it is a database
    - Use of attributes allows you do display more than the simple element name / code - eg you might have an element name with a code "AC1001" and an attribute which is a sensible human understandable name such as Hotel Costs. You could choose to display which ever you want / the name the attribute or both to the end user.
    - Elements can have multiple attributes which could be used as part of calculations - you might use the attribute as a flag to indicate if one type of calculation should occur or another
    - You can pull values from multiple sources / cubes in the same report - can't do this with a pivot table - at least when rules are available.
    - Rules will allow you to create virtual cubes or pull values into a cube based on other cubes
    - A Server side push rule in PHP would allow you to set up activities such as exeption reporting / alerting and many many other possibities. E.G. you might setup a KPI and monitor it so if it's value fell below a certain range an email was sent informing a manager that action needed to be taken.
    - Palo is web capable
    - Can a Pivot table give an element different weights? Eg
    Variance
    Actual - Weight = 1
    Budget - Weight = -1

A Pivot table is just a simple reporting tool, you really can't compare this will the possiblities offered by a database, which is far more capable.