installation problem - localhost:1234

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• installation problem - localhost:1234

Hi - I installed Palo yesterday and started working through your demo database sample without any problems. I then rebooted my computer and on starting Palo again found that I could not access the demo database and instead, when in the Modeller function, see:

LOCALHOST / localhost:1234

So, somewhere, something must require resetting to point to the Demo database, but I'm not sure what.

Thanks for your help - the tool looks very interesting and I am keen to get to the point where I can use it effectively.

Steve
  • Hello,
    clicking on toggle connection button doesn't help? While you are in Modeller, can you check if PALOServerService is up and running. Can you please send us PaloDesigner.log and palo.log, even better use our bug reporting system.
    Mit freundlichen Gruessen/ With kind Regards / Meilleures salutations

Vladislav Malicevic
    VP Development & Support
    Jedox AG
  • Hello,
    i seem to have the same problem. I worked with Palo Server and Excel Plugin, but when I restarted my computer 2 days later and wanted to start working with Palo Server again, I realized it hadn't started. So I tried to start it manually. It started but immediately shut down afterwards. I have not tried re-installing the server since I hope that this is not the ultimate solution to this problem.
    I am using Windows XP and Excel 2002. Can anybody help me with that?

Thanks and best regards

Nicolas
  • me again..., what I have done now is I removed the directory of my
    cube and dimensions from the /data directory and restarted Palo Plugin.
    It was now able to connect to the server again, using the modeller. Then I put the directory back in there and tried again and now everything is working fine. The only problem I have is that the values are gone, so I had to feed the cube again. Any hints about that?

best regards
    Nicolas
  • Hi,
    You are experiencing this problem due to the fact that for some reason data stored in Palo became inconsistent (sudden restart of the machine, loss of power, etc.). Earlier versions of Palo were especially influenced by this problem. There are several stages of PALOServerService start. One of them is committing log changes to actual data snapshot. This is probably the place where server stops. The coming TP2 release of Palo will handle such problems in a much better way. You could make archive out of your complete data directory and send it to our support for further analysis.

Vladislav Malicevic
    VP Development & Support
    Jedox AG
  • Hi again, thanks for the fast reply. Here is what I did now:

I have just filled the cube again. Then I realized I had to change some dimensions, so I filled the dimensions again. My question here:

When I fill the dimension using EADD and having overwrite/delete flag set to TRUE,
    are the values deleted as well? I assume this is the case since it might not make anymore sense to hold values with no assigned dimensions.
    After finishing refilling the dimensions I wanted to start my actual data import to fill in the values. But now the server could not connect anymore, thus could not access the cube which was to be filled. Did I possibly create inconsistency by redoing the dimensions? How should I handlde this case instead?

Further on, I tried to remove the directory from the /data directory as I did before. I was now able to start the server again, of course without my database repectively cube. Then I put the directory back there and tried a restart once again, but it didn't work this time like it did last time. Then I remembered the last time I first deleted the *_cube.log file. Logically I did this now as well and the procedure worked. How does the cube.log file influence the whole process?
    This time I deleted it it was about 3 MB, but some other time I saw it grow to 500 MB, so I guess the size doesn't have anything to do with it.

best regards

Nicolas

The post was edited 1 time, last by nmeseth ().

• News: the setdata function does not seem to write to cube.data file. I can do whatever i want, the cube.data file is never changed and obviously only holds one record. So when I restart Palo Server respectivley Excel i have no data available until i refill again. How can I save the data on HDD?
  • RE: cube.data

Explanation is a bit complicated ... basically, change (commit) takes place next time you start server … that’s one of the reasons why sometimes you can’t connect to server as soon as you start Excel – server is not ready to accept connections because it’s still busy loading data in memory … especially if you made a lot of changes, i.e. log file is large, you have to show patience … it just takes some time … if your log file is 500 Megs large … I can imagine, depending on the performance of your machine … you would have to wait 10-20 minutes, maybe more … once the changes are committed, data file size should increase and log should be truncated.

As for other questions, release dates, etc. I guess you have to watch out for announcements on palo.net … we are trying hard to make Palo as best as possible … trying hard takes sometimes more time than expected ;)

Vladislav Malicevic
    VP Development & Support
    Jedox AG