Relationship to TM1

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Relationship to TM1

Hi,

I once spent some years hacking Spreadsheet Connector, TM1 and VBA and did SAS, RDBMS, Java things afterwards. Now I am happy to find TM1 like functionality in an open source product. Palo,however, resembles TM1 a _lot_. Is this by coincidence or is there any relationship between Palo/Jedox developers and TM1 people?

The feature most obviously missing - and probably not trivial to implement and probably a unique selling point of TM1 - are TM1 like rules. What are your plans concerning rules?

Regards,

Joerk
  • RE: Relationship to TM1

Originally posted by joerk
    Palo,however, resembles TM1 a _lot_. Is this by coincidence or is there any relationship between Palo/Jedox developers and TM1 people?

The feature most obviously missing - and probably not trivial to implement and probably a unique selling point of TM1 - are TM1 like rules. What are your plans concerning rules?

I think the similarities are probably due to the fact that the TM1 design is simply makes a lot of sense.

As far as rules go, I'm sure that they are not trivial to implement. But I've got to think that the general idea (following dependency trees and so forth) is a solved problem.

One thing I would request: don't be quite as clever as TM1 in deducing what dimensions the elements named in the rule come from. E.g., if you have 2 dimensions, A and B, and dimensions A and B both have an element named X (this does crop up from time to time), TM1 doesn't like it if you have a rule like ['X'] = ... The work-around is to define unique aliases, but I wouldn't mind explicitly identifying which dimensions for which the rule should apply to all elements (e.g. the prior rule would be ['X',!] = ... or [!,'X'] = ...; the '!' meaning that the rule applies to all elements of dimension A or B. This would arguably also make the rules easier to humans to understand.

One drawback is with this is that you then become dependent on dimension ordering. I think this is not a big deal, but what do I know? :)